Everyone loves a toasty drink to warm them up in the holiday season. Below we’ve given you two different hot drink recipes, both can be made vegan and both can be made alcoholic, what’s not to love?
Vegan Eggnog (serves 4)
It’s tough not being able to make it home for the holidays but fear not, because even those of you who aren’t able to make it back across the pond for the holidays can have a taste of the American Christmas right here on the wonderful Emerald Isle. Almost every American Christmas film features eggnog, and while it is relatively difficult to find pre-made eggnog here in Ireland, it’s actually pretty easy to make yourself.
- 2 cups Oat Milk (or canned coconut milk- whichever you prefer)
- 2 tbsp Sweetened condensed coconut milk (can be store-bought or easily made at home!)
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup (or more if you’d prefer more sweetness)
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch (or arrowroot powder, however that can be very expensive)
- 2 tsp Nutmeg and Vanilla (add 1 tsp Cinnamon if you want to spice things up!)
- For an alcoholic eggnog, add some bourbon, brandy, dark rum, or cognac if you’re feeling fancy
Measure out all ingredients to make your life a little easier
- In a large pot, whisk together all ingredients (minus the alcohol) until smooth
- Place the pot on your hob and turn it on to medium-high heat until the eggnog begins to boil
- Reduce the heat to low and whisk for 3-4 minutes until it thickens
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool, allow it to chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours
- Add alcohol before serving if you wish and enjoy!
Baileys Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is such an excellent Christmas treat for those of us who aren’t massive fans of traditional Christmas spices but still want to feel festive. This recipe can be made vegan using Baileys ‘Almande’ and Schlagfix Vegan Spray Cream (which is not that much more expensive than dairy whipped cream- available from your local Supervalu) and non-dairy milk of your choice.
- 50ml Baileys Original (or Baileys ‘Almande’ for the vegans)
- Your favourite hot chocolate powder
- Approximately 100ml milk (or non-dairy milk either)
- A can of whipped cream (dairy or non-dairy, your choice)
- Any sort of chocolate (sprinkles, brownies, fingers, sauce) to garnish
- Make a hot chocolate as per the instructions on the packet, pour into a mug
- Add Baileys
- Top with whipped cream and ALL of the chocolate
Órla Slattery – Arts & Lifestyle Writer