With the start of a new semester, a whole new wave of foreign students have arrived on campus. This semi-comprehensive list of 30 words and phrases should help anyone who is not a native find their way around our campus filled with spectacularly eloquent students.
1. (What’s the) Story: Hello
2. Basshunter: DJ whom we are contractually obliged to hire for everything.
3. Battered: (1) Over exaggeration of a fight “I battered him”, (2) Cooking process involving oil and batter.
4. Be Grand: See Re-sits.
5. Bird/Burd: Polite term for woman, often used in a possessive manner. Eg, “Me Burd”.
6. Brits: 800 years of oppression.
7. C**t: Respected club.
8. Coppers: Vulgar expletive.
9. Craic: A dangerous narcotic. If your mate says he “had the craic”, find new friends.
10. Culchie: Country Lad
11. Da: Respected Father figure.
12. Daddy: D4’s Bank account.
13. Dub: Fine fellow from the city
14. nGardaí: (nyar-dee) Policemen
15. Here: Typically preceded by “Ah”, indication that you may have crossed a line.
16. Howaya: (1) Greeting typically preceded by “Ah Jaysus”, (2) A vulgar man/woman.
17. Jaegerbombs: (1) IRA invention, cause of The Troubles. (2) Something that seemed like a good idea at the time.
18. Jaysus: Jesus Christ. Ireland is still a Catholic country, we swear.
19. Johnny: (1) Condom, (2) Your mate John. Don’t mix these up.
20. Ma: Inexpensive Restaurant.
21. Mot(h): Girlfriend.
22. Penny’s: Cheap and easy to tear.
23. Quaar: (kware) A compliment to a farmer
24. Re-sits: 2nd Time lucky.
25. Slapper: An ill-dressed or promiscuous woman. This phrase is typically used by an equally promiscuous woman who is jealous of the afore mentioned woman.
26. The Mickey: Take it.
27. Trinity: See Brits.
28. Wan: Typically preceded by “Yer”, indication that a name has escaped the speaker
29. Wha?: I didn’t quite catch that, can you repeat what you said a bit slower for me please?
30. Yoke: (1) Chicken Foetus, (2) Narcotic.